Saturday, December 13, 2008

Rietvlei Dam Nature Reserve

On my last visit to the reserve, I was pleased to see that the building activities at the bridge between the two dams was complete. They had built a weir which formed a really nice little dam which was well shaded by willow trees allowing for plenty of hideaway places for birds. Here, a Little Egret hunting next to the road.


What was also nice to see was a Giant Kingfisher sitting on the railing of the bridge. As I tried to move closer, she flew into a tree giving a more natural looking backdrop.


Elsewhere in the reserve I also managed to get a shot of a Golden Bishop. Unfortunately, it never sat in a place where I could get a clear shot at it.


Another bird which was not at all keen to have its picture taken was a Levaillant's Cisticola. With this shot, I had to aim the camera very carefully between the reeds.

One bird which was very keen to pose (for a change) was a male Whitewinged Widow. I took many shots of this bird as he called trying to attract a female. Unfortunately, the sun stayed behind the clouds during the time he was posing for me.

As I was leaving the reserve, I came across this Rufousnaped Lark singing on a bush.

All in all, a pleasant morning, with not too many photo opportunities, but I was able to use those that presented themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment